Wave season was born out of the recognition that a large percentage of clients book their sailings in the early months of the year.
The combination of a new year with an empty calendar and, for most of us, chilly winter weather gets travelers thinking about sunny island getaways and the vacations to come. So, bookings take off.
To capitalize on this cruise-booking state of mind, cruise lines and travel agents offer extra incentives — typically free perks and reduced cruise fares — in the hopes that the promotions will be the final push travelers need to book those cruises.
Wave Season not only offers hot fares, but extra perks such as: onboard credits, prepaid gratuities, special dining packages, shore excursions.
The cruise industry’s Wave Season, which is happening now through March, is generally when cruise lines offer up many enticing promotions to consumers to help fill the ships. This is also when many cruise lines release new deployments, making this prime booking time for groups as well.
Wave Season is also a busy booking period, as your customers take this time to look at future travel plans and fill up their vacation calendars. And of course, the cold, winter months bring thoughts of warm and sunny locations! So, you want to make sure you jump on these opportunities – it’s a great time for you go out there and grab new bookings or perhaps work on landing a first-time cruiser booking.
So, how can YOU make the most of this Wave Season?
1. Know what your go-to suppliers are offering. Know the promotions and offers that are in place for Nexion Travel Group’s preferred supplier partners by checking myNexion>Inventory>Search Promotions daily and checking the Supplier Offers email sent on Tuesdays. These are your tools to offer your customers reduced deposits, upgrades, and in some cases, onboard credits. NOTE: Pay close attention to booking windows and terms and conditions of these promotions.
2. Book groups! This is also the perfect time to start working on groups. Many itineraries are already announced for 2021, and the early bird gets the worm. Use your network to go after your repeat or new group business. Don’t forget to explore pre- or post-packaging with our preferred shore excursion vendors.
3. Tap into the thousands of cruise groups through Nexion and Travel Leaders Network. For your “onesie/twosie” customers, do not forget about Nexion Cruise Block Space (access through myNexion>Inventory>Search All Cruise Inventory) or the groups offered through Travel Leaders Network. Our groups, which offer guaranteed amenities or specialized events, are here for YOU to use and market to your clients. You can click here to see the Finding a Cruise Groups quick reference guide.
4. Get paid for your bookings. You’ve worked hard for your commissions, so always post your bookings into the Create Reservation tool. This helps ensure you get your supplier confirmations in a timely manner.
5. Tap into your Nexion network. Need to bounce an idea? Use your fellow Nexion Travel Group colleagues through NexionTown, contact the Nexion Cruise department or (if possible) set up some time with your local Business Development Manager with your top cruise vendors and have a brainstorming session.
2020 STEAM AHEAD: 2% Bonus Commission + Save Up to $2,500 per Stateroom on Select Dates*
Victory: 2% Bonus Commission & Up to $3,000 Savings
Big Savings, Resort Credits & More!
Reduced Rates, Food & Beverage Credits & More!
Up to 25% OFF + FREE Breakfast
Receive a Free Land Extension on Select 2020 Danube River Cruises!
Save $2500 per Couple on Select 2021 Avalon Waterways Europe River Cruises.*
Book Early and Save Up to 20% on Sailings Through April 2022
Spring Group Promotion – Free cruise berth for every 10 full fare guests berthed
Save Up to $1,000 + 50% Off Additional Guests
Backayard to the Bahamas – 2-Night Sailings from South Florida
Book Air to Earn More Through Celebrity Rewards
Save up to 35% during the Set Sail Sale*
Central America – Savings Up to 20% Off
Galapagos 25% off – Check out the Galapagos West and Galapagos South
Save $200 per person on 2020 Cosmos Russian River Cruise
Save 5% per Person on Select 2020 Globus Asia, Africa, and South Pacific Vacations
Pack These Values: Book Select 2020 Cruises or Land+Sea Journeys for These Valuable Offers
4% Bonus Commission Extended!
Future Cruise Booking Benefits
All In! Free Drinks, Free WiFi, Free Onboard Credit + BONUS $99 Deposits!
NEW! All in Plus – Drinks, Wifi & Shipboard Credit
NEW! Exclusive! Up to $500 OBC + an Advisor Incentive for YOU!
AIRPOM2: Free or Reduced Air from Select Gateways
Free at Sea – Includes 3+ Nights Fleetwide & Pride of America Sailings
EXTENDED Alaska OLife Ultimate – ALL 3 for Free – Book by 02/29
Perfect Voyage to Escape the Cold – Palms & Paradise March 2020 – Ends 2/21
$250 Gift Card for Advisors on Select Sailings
Perfect Voyage to Escape the Cold – Palms & Paradise March 2020 – Ends 2/21
Exclusive: Up to $200 Off with RIU
NEW! 30% Off at Le Meridien Bora Bora
15% off Brit Rail Pass*
NEW! Thalys: 57% off Comfort & Premium 1st Class Tickets – Ends 2/29
Celebrate Luxury Perfected: $250 Gift Card for You; up to $1,000 SBC for Clients
NEW! Buy One Guest, Get Second Guest 60% Off + 30% savings for guests 3 & 4 + Kids Sail Free and more!
NEW! Nexion-Exclusive! Up to $150 OBC on Select Sailings!
NEW! Exclusive Specialty Dining Offer – Ends 2/29
Save Up to 15% on Combination Voyages & More – Book by 2/14
Signature Savings Event: Incredible Values & Special Offers – Ends 2/28
Bonus Savings Days of up to $1,000 – Book 01/04-02/28
TLN: 5% Off on Select Alaska, Galapagos, Expedition Departures*
Pick Your Perk, Bonus Commission for New Guests – Ends 2/28
Small Ship, BIG World Savings Event – Pick your Perk – Ends 2/28
TLN Exclusive: Up to $200 Shipboard Credit
Sometimes it’s challenging to sell cruises when negative news surrounding ocean cruising (like Noro Virus) happens, and you’re likely to have a few clients who are reluctant to cruise. As an industry, it’s important to all of us to educate our clients so they can make informed decisions. The cruise lines rely on us to deliver first-time cruisers – and the better we do on this, the less suppliers will rely on direct sales to consumers.
Here are just a few reasons you can give non-cruisers to catch the wave:
• Value. Look at everything included in your cruise – transportation, accommodation, meals (galore!), onboard activities and most entertainment. On some luxury lines, alcohol, tips and shore excursions are included.
• Togetherness – or not. It’s your choice if your group wants to hang out together or pursue individual interests. Cruises have special programs and activities for little ones to adults, so there’s something for everyone.
• Convenience. You unpack once; the ship carries you to your destinations.
• Get paid for your bookings. There’s plenty to do – or not. Cruises offer tons of activities – from wine tastings to cooking classes, rock climbing to speaker series. Or, you can lounge on a deck chair or hang out in the pool, without a worry in the world.
Q. How do I find Nexion Cruise Block Space ?
From the navigation bar at the top of the page select Inventory, search all cruise inventory. Next, from “Special Inventory Options” select, the “only” radio button and “Cruise Block Space.” To confirm you are viewing the Nexion Travel Group Promo, be sure that the Cruise Block Space radio button is selected at the top of the page.
Q. Why do I have to tell Nexion Travel Group that I am taking out a group?
Nexion Travel Group must be informed of all group requests over 25 cabins as there are strict policies implemented by the cruise lines that we need to adhere to.
Q. If I sell eight (8) cabins in a Nexion group, can I offer my clients the TC amount?
The TC value will be yours if you sell the full eight (8) cabins (or the requirements of the individual cruise line) with no cancellations. However, depending on the Nexion Travel Group plan type you chose, you may receive a percentage less than the full TC. The gross amount of the cruise and TC must be paid at final payment. The TC value will be sent to you with the commission.
Q. Can Nexion Travel Group help me market my Affinity group to the whole membership?
Affinity groups should be taken out when an advisor has a list of travelers and is ready to make a deposit on a sailing. Please note, Nexion’s policy does not allow advisors to book into another advisor’s Affinity group.
Q. If I am on a 90/10 split, does that apply to TC and bonus commission?
Yes, all revenue generated through Nexion Travel Group will be based on the Plan type you chose.
Q. If I call Nexion Travel Group to block an Affinity Group, can I pick the amenities?
All Affinity Groups should be reserved directly with the cruise line as well as assign the amenities.
Q. If I have an FIT booking and Nexion opens up a group on the same ship and date, will my booking automatically be moved into the group?
No, we will not automatically move any bookings into our groups. If you would like the booking moved, please contact the cruise line group department directly.
Q. If I am trying to match a price offered by another agency, can I pay less than the gross amount to close the sale?
The gross amount must be paid in full to the cruise lines.
Q. Can I have the cruise lines send the documents directly to me in order to cut down on our shipping costs?
When available documents will be sent as e-docs so there will be no shipping costs. In the event a cruise line does not offer e-docs, the documents will go through our document department and then on to you.
Q. When I negotiated my group, I had to offer a discount in order to get the group. Will I still get my full commission?
Your client comes to you for your expertise, service and your time. As a professional you should not be discounting. No group bookings or FIT bookings should ever be discounted. In the event we receive an invoice with less commission than expected of the group, a charge to you of the difference will be set based on your plan type.
Q. When do I need to put my booking into AgentMate Create Reservation?
Your booking should be posted as soon as it is confirmed.
Q. Why can’t I send an agency check to Nexion Travel Group to pay for our clients cruise when they pay me by check or cash?
No agency or personal checks will be accepted by the Nexion Travel Group Accounting Department. Certified check, money order, wires, and merchant POS may be used for payment. Payment must arrive at the Nexion Accounting Desk accompanied by a check request and copy of the cruise line invoice, seven days prior to the cruise line due date.
Q. When will my commission be paid on groups?
Commissions are paid on the 1st and the 15th of the month following when Nexion Travel Group is paid by the cruise line.